Tuesday, October 5, 2010

week 6: Investigating with Technologies

   PDA (personal digital assistant) is a term for any small mobile hand-held device that provides computing and information storage and retrieval capabilities for personal or business use, often for keeping schedule calendars and address book information handy. In the classroom they can be used for keeping up with assignments, due dates, and test dates.
   Onlne survey tools help you to automate the online data collection process and ensures complete accuracy. In addition, they can enable anyone to create and administer professional-looking online surveys. In the classroom it can help the students to have a more accurate/professional survey. 2 goos rules are haveing a lot of questions and try to be specific as to what your are asking.
   PDA's and surveys are a big thing for students now-a-days. It s so much easier to get on a computer or PDA and make up a class schedule or a survey. A lot of students have to do surveys as assignments now and by going online and using the online tools they can make sure their surveys are accurate.

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R. M., & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful Learning With Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about these PDA's. The technology we have now can make things so much easier. These PDA's are great for in classroom research if the students are not supplied with laptops. Surveys are a great way for students to go out and do some field research. The students would learn to make questions that are completely none bias questing to get straight answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited about putting this technology to use. I hope I am with a school district that provides/allows for its use. I think the surveys could result in quite a few classroom discussions because the results would be that of the students themselves, and not an outdated survey from years prior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PDAs are a wonderful tool for the classroom and be used for multiple tasks. I agree that they can be a wonderful tool in the class but can you imagine, a teaacher loading assignments due into a PDA for a student and the parents being able to check that PDA to see if the student has homework, I love it. No more students telling their parents "I don't have any homework today." The use of these devices can go much further than what was discussed in class if the teacher, student, and parents are all working together for the betterment of the education of the student.
    Surveys are a good idea as well. They can be used to gather information on what students know or don't know about a topic, which will tell a teacher what areas need to be covered in more detail. This will increase the educational value of the class and assist the teacher in preparing lessons on topics that the students need rather than reteaching information that the students already know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you I love the idea of having PDA’s in the classroom. I already have several ways I could use it in the classroom. Hopefully my school will be able provide the technology needed to work with PDA’s in the classroom and approve the use of it in my class. Online surveys are fun and I think student will have fun doing them for class projects, or class polls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree I think the use of PDA's is a great tool for students in the classroom there are so many things they can do with them it is a great reasource for them to use since most dont have lab tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you will get some use out of this, but like I said science!

    ReplyDelete